There are three main ways you can accommodate students in Canvas.
- Moderating a quiz – Allows instructors to make adjustments to some quiz settings for the selected students
- Differentiated assignments – This option allows instructors to select individual students in the Assign To section of the assignment settings to give students a different due date and availability period for an assignment OR to assign an assignment to selected students.
- And/Or Module option – This option will allow instructors to create modules where students to choose their own path of assessments
Moderating a Quiz
Review Quiz Settings
When Moderating a Quiz be sure to review quiz settings before moderating a quiz. It is important to understand that the default quiz result settings allow students to view their responses along with the correct answers each time they view the quiz page. Make adjustments to quiz result settings especially if you are allowing students extra attempts! Review the following guides and helpful resources in the Canvas Community for further details on all of ways you can adjust quiz result settings.
- What options are available for Quizzes?
- Quiz Settings to Maximize Security – CanvasLIVE event featuring Kona Jones.
- Quiz Settings to Maximize Security – handy guide created by Kona Jones
When Moderating a Quiz
The guides below gives instructions on giving a student extra time on a timed quiz or an extra attempt on a quiz. Please note if you give a student an extra attempt on a quiz that has a set availability period that has passed, you may need to unlock the quiz so the student can complete the quiz attempt.
- Once I publish a timed quiz, how can I give my students extra time?
- Once I publish my Quiz, how can I give my students extra attempts?
Differentiated assignments allow you to accommodate students with different assignments or due dates. This is available in the assignment settings for online graded assignments, discussions, and quizzes. There are some key points to make note of when using this feature.
If you are differentiating an assignment by due date, be sure to always use the +Add option under the Assign To box in assignment settings. This will create a separate Assign To box where you can assign the selected student(s) the different due date and availability period. Once you assign students in the second Assign To box the first Assign To box will change to Everyone Else. Please note if you have an assignment where most students have submitted the assignment and you remove everyone from the first assign to box to pick selected students, only the selected students will see the assignment and grades! DO NOT DO THIS! This will causes mass confusion for your students who have previously completed the assignment. They will NOT be able to view the assignment or their grade for the assignment.
If you are assigning the assignment to individual students, you can remove everyone from the assign to box so you can select the students who will be assigned to the assignment. You will be warned that the assignment is not assigned to a section. Just click Continue. Be aware only students assigned to the assignment can be graded for the assignment in the grades and students will only see the assignments they are assigned. Please note this is best done when creating a new assignment. As mentioned in the previous paragraph, removing everyone in the first assign to box in assignment settings with an assignment that has previous submissions is NOT optimal and can lead to student confusion.
- What do Differentiated Assignments look like in Canvas?
- How do I assign an Assignment to an individual student or course section?
- How do I assign a Quiz to an individual student or course section?
- How do I assign a Graded Discussion to an individual student or course section?
And/Or Options in Module
The And/Or option in module settings will allow instructors to require students to complete all requirements in a module or allows students to select one requirement from a module.
- What are Modules for instructors?
- What are Modules for students?
- Canvas Pages vs Canvas Modules
- How do I add requirements to a Module?
- How do I require students to move through each Module item in order?
- How do I set up prerequisite Modules?
See original article Accommodating Students in Canvas for: Important Notes on Assignments, Quiz Attempts, & Grading Assignments